Cathedral History . . .

The Cathedral Church of St. Barnabas was opened in 1844. It was an event of undoubted importance as witnessed by this engraving reproduced from the London Illustrated News of 31st August that year.

Prior to that, the Church of St. John the Evangelist, on George Street, had been the home to Nottingham's ever growing band of Catholics. This growth in the population, prompted the then Parish Priest, Fr. Robert Willson, to set out to raise funds for a larger Church.

Lord Shrewsbury, a champion of the Gothic Revival, stepped forward with financial support and employed A.W.N. Pugin as architect.

The Blessed Sacrament Chapel is considered by many to be the 'jewel in the crown' of St. Barnabas Cathedral. It is richly decorated as Pugin had originally intended and is the very heart of the Cathedral. In addition to being used for private prayer, the Chapel is also the centrepiece for more organised group prayer, such as that for Vocations on a Saturday morning.



Site Map